You will need
- Stand mixer or electric mixer
- Large mixing bowl
- Large baking sheet x 2
- Baking paper
- 400g strong flour
- 400g sugar
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 3 tbsp of lemon zest
- 80g sultanas
- 80g dried dates, finely diced
- 80g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas mark 4. Lay two baking sheets with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- Whisk the butter with sugar until become smooth.
- Crack in the eggs one at the time, mixing as you break in each egg.
- Mix in dry ingredients through until well combined.
- Dust a clean work surface with little flour and shape the dough into 2 logs.
- Place the logs on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove logs from the oven and let them cool.
- Cut the logs into 1cm slices and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown on each side.
- Remove from the oven and carefully transfer cantuccini on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in a sealed container.