You will need
- Stand mixer or electric mixer
- 23cm cake tins with a removable base
- Large bowl
- Piping bag
- Wire rack
- Baking paper
- 4 tbsp of grated white chocolate
For the chocolate sponge
- 300g plain flour
- 300g caster sugar
- 6 medium size free-range eggs
- 3 tbsp of cocoa powder
For the chocolate filling
- 250g dark chocolate 75%
- 250g milk chocolate
- 115g butter
- 175g icing sugar
- 125ml single cream
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas mark 4. Lay 23cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Using stand mixer whisk eggs together with sugar until thick and pale yellow.
- Sieve flour gradually with cocoa powder into a whipped eggs and mix gently until combined.
- Pour dough into the prepared cake tin and place in the oven for 45-50 minutes.
- When the chocolate sponge is ready, set aside to chill for 10 minutes. Remove sponge from the tin and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare the chocolate filling place the chocolates in a large bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water stirring occasionally. When chocolate completely melts mix through cream and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile cream butter and the sugar using a stand mixer. Pour gradually chocolate mixture and mix until combined.
- Cut chocolate sponge horizontally into 3 layers.
- To assemble the cake, place one of the chocolate sponge layers on a cake stand and spread with one-third of the chocolate filling, repeat the process with the last two layers. Sprinkle over the chocolate layer cake grated white chocolate, cut into the 12 portions and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.