When you think about chocolate vegan cake, you might think it will be dry, crumbly or complicated. Well, you’re wrong! This chocolate vegan cake is quick and super easy to make, with no unusual ingredients. Give it a go and let me know what you think.
You will need
- 20 cm springform cake tin
- Large pot
- Large bowl
- Large heatproof bowl
- Wire whisk
- Wire rack
- Baking paper
- 250 g (9 oz) plain flour
- 300 g (10 1/2 oz) brown sugar
- 375 ml (13 fl oz) warm water
- 85 g (3 oz) cocoa powder
- 85 g (3 oz) rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp of apple vinegar
For the chocolate icing
- 150 g (5 1/2) dark chocolate (70%)
- 50 g (2 1/4) brown sugar
- 25 g (1 oz) cocoa powder
- 50 ml (2 fl oz) water
- 1 tbsp of soya butter
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/Gas mark 3½. Grease a 20cm diameter springform tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Put in a large pot brown sugar, water, rapeseed oil, apple vinegar and heat up on a medium heat until sugar dissolve completely. Take off from the heat and set aside.
- In a Large bowl combine plain flour, cocoa powder, and bicarbonate of soda, then stir this into the wet mix.
- Pour the cake into the tin and bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean and dry. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the chocolate vegan cake is cooling, prepare the icing by placing all ingredients into the large heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Continuously whisking combine all ingredients until creamy consistency and silky. If you overheat the mixture simply set aside in cold place stir from time to time till you get the right consistency.
- Spread chocolate icing over the chocolate vegan cake and allow to set slightly before slicing.