Classic Caesar salad sounds as though it is suited for royalty, yet can be found at many restaurants across Ireland and it is one of the best sellers. You can’t beat fresh Caesar salad! And of course, you don’t have to eat out to enjoy a great-tasting Caesar salad. Give yourself a chance, and I bet you will never buy Caesar dressing again.
You will need
- Food processor
- Baking sheet
- Roast tray
- Non-stick frying pan
- Large bowl x 2
- Wire whisk
- 4 heads of baby gem lettuce
- 150g streaky bacon, roasted and sliced
- 12 anchovies fillets
- 4 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
- ½ baguette, cut into 1cm cubes
- 6 tbsp of olive oil
For the Caesar dressing
- 180ml olive oil
- 2 large free-range egg yolk
- 4 anchovies fillets
- 2 tsp of dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas mark 4.
- Toss baguette with olive oil in a roast tray, season with salt and black pepper. Place in the oven and bake, occasionally tossing, until golden, 10–15 minutes.
- Place in the food processor egg yolks, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar and blitz together. Gradually pour olive oil. Add garlic, lemon juice, anchovies and blitz again. Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt. Transfer caesar dressing to a small container, wrap in cling film and refrigerate till needed.
- Trim the baby gem lettuce back until you get to the inner leaves and wash well, spin dry.
- In a large bowl toss together baby gem lettuce with caesar dressing. Divide lettuce between plates, on the top, arrange crispy streaky bacon, croutons, anchovies. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and enjoy!