Have you ever tried to make English muffins yourself? It’s much easier than you think! Here is a step by step recipe for making a batch of English muffins for you and your lucky family.
You will need
- Large mixing bowl
- Frying pan
- Measuring jug
- Rolling pin
- Pastry cutter
- Baking sheet
- Wire rack
- 15 g (1/2 oz) fresh yeast
- 600 ml (21 fl oz) warm milk
- 450 g (1 lb) strong flour
- 50 g (2 oz) polenta
- 1 free-range egg
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- Dusting flour
- Rapeseed oil
- Combine in the large mixing bowl flour, yeast, egg, sugar, salt and warm milk using a large wooden spoon.
- Dust a clean work surface with little flour and turn the dough out of the bowl. Knead until smooth and elastic. Transfer to a greased bowl, cover with clingfilm and set aside in warm place to rise until double the size.
- Lay the baking sheet with baking paper and sprinkle with polenta.
- Knock back the dough. Using the rolling pin, roll the dough out to a thickness of 2,5cm. Using a 6.5cm circular pastry cutter, cut out the English muffins and place them on a baking sheet.
- Transfer the muffins to the baking sheet and sprinkle over with more polenta. Cover with tea towel and set aside in warm place for 30 minutes to rise.
- Place the frying pan over medium heat and preheat oven to 170˚C/Gas mark 4.
- Brush the frying pan with rapeseed oil and brown the muffins in batches, for a few minutes each side, then turn the heat to low and cook for 5 minutes. Transfer English muffins to a baking sheet and finish with 10 minutes in the oven, or until cooked through.
- Cool down slightly on a wire rack before serving.