Fish Chowder is such a great and easy thick creamy fish soup. A perfect hearty midweek meal with deep flavours.
You will need
- Large pot
- Large wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) firm fish, skinless, deboned and cut into cubes (salmon, haddock and smoked haddock)
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) white wine
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) cream
- 600 ml full-fat milk
- ½ of small white onion, diced
- 150 g (5 ½ oz) leek, finely sliced
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) of bacon, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 medium-size carrot, died
- 1 medium-size potato, diced
- 2 tbsp of cornflour
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 tbsp of fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- Heat the butter and rapeseed oil in a large pot over medium heat. Then add the bacon, leek, minced garlic and onion. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until the onion and leek is soft and the bacon cooked. Add carrots and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Stir in the cornflour and cook for further 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the white wine and bring it up to a gentle simmer, and reduce by 1/3. Then pour in the cream and repeat the process reducing by 1/3.
- Pour in the milk and bring to the simmer. Add the potatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Add to the pot the fish mix, dill and lemon zest and gently simmer for about 5 minutes. Check the seasoning and serve with some crusty bread.