How to make soft Chocolate Sponge, well you only need 6 ingredients, and it relies solely on well-beaten eggs.
Chocolate Sponge is used in desserts like tiramisu, mouse, cheesecake. It can be soaked with your favorite mixture and layered with cream fillings or jam, covered with fondant, or just eaten on its own sprinkled with icing sugar.
You can prepare the soft chocolate sponge up to 3 days ahead, wrap it in cling film and keep it in the fridge. You can also freeze it for up to a month.
If you try this recipe, let us know what you think!
You will need
- Stand mixer or electric mixer
- 23cm springform cake tin
- Large bowl
- Fine strainer
- Baking paper
- 6 large free range eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- 120g plain flour
- 40g corn flour
- 40g cocoa powder
- Place an oven rack in middle position and preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas mark 4.
- Lay 23cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat the eggs and sugar for at least 10 minutes or until the mixture, triples in volume, and reaches the ribbon stage.
- Meanwhile sift the plain flour, corn flour, and cocoa powder into a large bowl.
- When the egg mixture is ready, add gradually dry ingredients, and fold it gently with a silicone spatula. Don’t add all at once it will sink to the bottom of the bowl.
- Gently transfer ready dough for chocolate sponge onto springform tin, and pop in into the oven for 25 minutes.
- When the cake is ready, turn off the oven and leave it inside for around 5 minutes.