You will need
- Large pot
- Large saucepan
- High sided baking dish
- Wire whisk
- Small ladle
- 16 dry lasagna sheets
- 160g grated mozzarella cheese
- 60g grated parmesan cheese
For the bolognese sauce
- 400g minced beef
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 8 slices of streaky bacon, finely diced
- 100ml red wine
- 125ml beef stock
- 60g tomato paste
- 1 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- ½ celery sticks, finely diced
- 1 medium size onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 twigs of fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 twigs of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 3 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the bechamel sauce
- 1200 litre of milk
- 90g plain flour
- 1 tsp of ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
- 50g grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Heat half of rapeseed oil in a large pot with a thick bottom on a medium heat and fry mince beef until browned. Remove and set aside till needed. Heat remaining oil and saute streaky bacon until browned on each side.
- Add chopped onion with minced garlic and continue cooking until softened.
- Add brown sugar with tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes. Place in the pot carrots, celery sticks and herbs and continue cooking until softened.
- Return the minced beef into the pot and pour the red wine and bring to the boil. Add tin tomatoes, and beef stock brings to the boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/Gas mark 6. Lay the baking sheet with baking paper. Put a heaping tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese onto a baking sheet and lightly pat down. Repeat the same process with the remaining cheese. Bake for 4-5 minutes in the oven until golden and crisp. Cool down and set aside till needed.
- Once Bolognese is cooked taste for seasoning and turn off the heat.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour, nutmeg, a teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Keep cooking for 2-3 minutes continuously whisking.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and continue cooking until thickened. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes whisking from time to time. Turn off the heat and set aside till needed.
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/Gas mark 3.
- Ladle a layer of the bolognese and bechamel sauce into a high sided baking dish, then top the lasagne sheets. Repeat the same process with the remaining sauces till they use up. Finishing with a layer of cheese sauce, sprinkle over mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Cover loosely with tin foil and place in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove the tin foil and cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling at the edges.
- Divide into portions and garnish with fresh basil leaves and parmesan crisps.