Mushroom and Sage Tortellini made with fresh pasta is well worth labour of love.
You will need
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring jug
- Large frying pan
- Food Processor
- Rolling pin
- Fine strainer
- Wire whisk
For the pasta
- 400 g (14 oz) flour type “00”, plus extra for dusting
- 4 medium size free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of salt
For the tortellini filing
- 300 g (10 1/2 oz) mushroom, washed and grated
- 3 twigs of fresh sage
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat rapeseed oil in a large pot with thick bottom over medium-high heat. Add mushroom, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Saute mushroom until softened. Set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine in the large mixing bowl all dry ingredients and make a well in the centre.
- Crack the eggs into the large jug and whisk them until they combine.
- Pour eggs together with olive oil to the well, then gradually bring the flour in from the outside. When enough flour has been incorporated into the egg mixture, use your clean hands and knead dough on a clean surface for 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Wrap pasta dough in clingfilm and leave to rest in the fridge for about 40 minutes.
- Take chilled mushrooms and using fine strainer squeeze excess of water. Work in small batches.
- Place mushrooms and sage into the food processor and blitz until fine paste forms.
- Using floured rolling pin roll out pasta dough to a thickness of 2 millimetres. Slice into 5cm squares. Remember to keep rest of the pasta dough covered till needed.
- Place 1 teaspoon of the mushroom and sage filling in the middle of a pasta square, then fold the pasta into a triangle, pressing gently from the middle to the edges to seal. Make sure that will be no air trapped inside the tortellini.
- Wind the folded edge around the tip of your finger and press the ends to form a ring. Place on the floured tray.
- Continue until you have used all the rolled out the dough. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Continue process until you have used all the pasta dough and stuffing.