Christmas is the most beautiful time of the year! It’s very tough trying to pick a favourite treat. Which brings us here. To desserts. An essential part of that long holiday. This Pecan Tart recipe with light sweet pastry will melts in your mouth, also is quick and very easy to prepare.
You will need
- Large saucepan
- Large bowl
- Loose-bottomed tart tin 24cm
- Large baking sheet
- Rolling pin
- Wire rack
- Baking paper
For the sweet pastry
- 380g plain flour
- 100g icing sugar
- 210g butter, room temperature
- 2 large free-range egg yolk
For the pecan nut filling
- 350g pecan nuts, coarsely cut
- 150g golden syrup
- 200g brown sugar
- 100g butter
- 3 tbsp of plain flour
- 3 large free-range eggs
- To make sweet pastry sieve the flour onto a clean work surface, add sugar and butter. Using your fingertips, rub in the batter until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolks to the mixture and gently work it together until dough forms. Don’t work the sweet pastry too much at this stage. Flour it lightly ready dough and wrap in cling film. Place in the fridge till needed.
- For the pecan nut filling place golden syrup, brown sugar and butter into the saucepan and bring to the boil. Continue boiling for 3 minutes or until sugar completely dissolves. Take off the heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Whisk in eggs one at the time. Put flour and pecan nuts into the saucepan and mix again.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas mark 4.
- Dust a clean work surface with little flour and press sweet pastry into a rectangle shape. Roll out the dough to about 3 millimetres thickness and cut out discs from the pastry to line greased 24cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Cover pastry case with baking paper, fill with rice or dried beans and place in the oven for 15 minutes. Take out sweet pastry case from the oven. Remove the rice or beans and take out the lining. Place the case back in the oven and bake for another 5 minutes until golden brown. Take the case out and let them cool down completely on the wire rack.
- Reduce the temperature in the oven to 165˚C/Gas mark 3.
- Spread pecan nut filling into the cooled pastry case and place the tart inside the oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until filling is slightly puffed and set.
- Take out pecan nuts tart from the oven and allow them to cool slightly. Remove tart from the tin and enjoy.