This full of flavour pumpkin and apple soup is ideal for long chilly evenings. I love this creamy pumpkin soup which has a hint of apple for some extra sweetness.
You will need
- Large pot
- Hand blender
- 1 large pumpkin, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 3 red apples, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 litre (1 3/4 pint) of vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 3 tbsp of single cream
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red apple, finely diced
- 1 x 280g (10 oz) of brown sourdough bread loaf
- Melt the butter in a large pot with a thick bottom. Add the rapeseed oil and saute chopped onion with minced garlic over medium-high heat until they softened. Add pumpkin with cumin and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Pour vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until pumpkin softened.
- Add red apples and using a hand blender blitz the soup until smooth and creamy. Finish seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cut bread into 2.5cm slices and toast it. Toasted bread cut lengthwise into breadsticks.
- Warm pumpkin and apple soup ladle into the soup bowls and garnish with finely diced apples and brown breadsticks.