Quinoa risotto with roast butternut squash and zucchini is your low calorie, gluten-free superfood meal. Give it a go and let us know what you think!
You will need
- Non-stick frying pan
- Small pot
- Roast tray x 2
- Large wooden spoon
- Small ladle
- 450g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 1 medium size zucchini, washed and cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 200g white quinoa, rinsed, drained
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 100ml white wine
- 1 medium size onion, finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely sliced
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp of rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of flat parsley, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp of sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp of repressed oil
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas mark 4.
- Place butternut squash on a roast tray. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and toss well. Pop in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- Put zucchini on a roast tray, season with salt and black pepper. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and pop in the oven as well, for 15 minutes.
- Pour vegetable stock into a small pot and simmer gently. Heat repressed oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Saute chopped onion with minced garlic until softened. Add celery with rosemary and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add quinoa and cook for around 2 minutes.
- Pour white wine and simmer until nearly evaporated. At that stage start adding the warm stock 1 ladle at the time. Allow quinoa to absorb all vegetable stock before adding more. Taste the rice from time to time to check if it’s cooked. If not, keep adding stock until the rice is cooked al dente. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Remove from heat. Add butternut squash with zucchini into the quinoa and combine gently. Just before serving stir through parsley. Divide to the portions and sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Serve straight away.