Easy roasted tomato soup with fresh basil is full of incredible flavours. Ready in ready in a blink of an eye. Delicious, flavorful the best way to use up fresh tomatoes! You’ll never want to go back to the canned stuff after you try this out.
You will need
- Large pot
- Roasting tray
- Hand blender
- 1,5 kg (3 lb 5 oz) ripe plum tomatoes, cored and cut in half
- 1 litre (1 3/4 pint) of vegetable stock
- 2 medium size white onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 garlic clove, minced
- 2 ripe celery twigs, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli pepper, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- 100 ml (4 fl oz) single cream
- 6 twigs of fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Whipped cream
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas mark 4.
- Arrange tomatoes, cut side up and place them on a large roasting tray. Drizzle them with olive oil and seasoning them with salt and freshly ground black pepper and bake them in the oven for 60 minutes or until tomatoes skin its start to blacken.
- Melt the butter in a large pot with thick bottom. Add rapeseed oil, saute chopped onion and minced garlic over medium-high heat until they are softened. Add chilli pepper, celery, brown sugar and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Scrape everything from the roasting tray into a large pot, discarding tomato skins.
- Pour vegetable stock into the pot and gently bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fresh basil and single cream. Using a hand blender blitz the soup until smooth and creamy. Finish seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Gluten-Free Hassle-Free Soup Vegetarian
Celery Fresh basil Plum tomatoes Red chilli pepper Vegetable stock