Shepherd’s pie is ultimate Irish comfort food is guaranteed to warm you over. Give it a go and let us know what you think!
You will need
- Oven proof baking dish
- 800g minced lamb
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 250g green peas
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 450ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp of thyme, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Repressed oil
- Black pepper
- 700g of creamy mash potato
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas mark 4.
- Heat repressed oil in a pot over medium heat and soften the onion and carrots for around 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, tomato paste and continue cooking for further 5 minutes.
- Put the minced lamb into the pot and using a masher breaks up the meat. Allow to brown and cook through for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour over the chicken stock and stir through until combined. Bring to a steady simmer and cook for 25 mins.
- When the lamb is ready, add green peas and finish seasoning with salt and ground black pepper.
- Transfer shepherd’s pie mix into an ovenproof baking dish and top with creamy mash potato. Pop in shepherd’s pie in the oven for 25 mins or until the top is starting to brown and the mince is bubbling up around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and serve straight away.