Smoked salmon and black pudding salad with caramelised apples is the classic combination of black pudding, and smoked salmon. We take this recipe to the next level by adding them to a salad with caramelised apples and gently drizzle with honey and mustard dressing.
You will need
- Large bowl
- Small cooking tray
- Non-stick frying pan
- Wire whisk
- 2 handful of watercress, washed
- 1 handful of rocket salad, washed
- 12 large slices of smoked salmon
- 12 1.5cm slices of Clonakilty black pudding
- 70g Cashel blue cheese, cut into small cubes
For the honey and mustard dressing
- 6 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of honey
- 1 tsp of french mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the caramelised apples
- 3 red apples, remove cores and cut into quarters
- 3 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp of butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the French mustard, honey, vinegar, and salt. Gradually whisk in the olive oil to make a dressing. Wrap in the cling film and refrigerate till needed.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas mark 4.
- On a small cooking tray plaice Clonakilty black pudding and pop in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a non-stick frying pan, heat the butter until it is bubbling. Add the apple and continue to cook over medium-high heat for around 5 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown. Place brown sugar into the apples and continue to cook until sugar has melted and started to caramelise. Set aside in warm place.
- In a large bowl place watercress with rocket salad and drizzle with honey and mustard dressing. Toss well and divide salad between plates by putting in the middle of it. Around the salad arrange Clonakilty black pudding and smoked salmon. Place on the top of black pudding caramelised apples. Sprinkle Cashel blue cheese over the salad and serve straight away.