You will need
- Large pot
- Large frying pan
- Small ladle
- 420g dry spaghetti pasta
- 40g grated parmesan cheese
For the bolognese sauce
- 400g minced beef
- 400g tin tomatoes
- 8 slices of streaky bacon, finely diced
- 100ml red wine
- 125ml beef stock
- 60g tomato paste
- 1 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- ½ celery sticks, finely diced
- 1 medium size onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 twigs of fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 twigs of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- 3 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 50g grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Heat half of rapeseed oil in a large pot with a thick bottom on a medium heat and fry mince beef until browned. Remove and set aside till needed. Heat remaining oil and saute streaky bacon until browned on each side.
- Add chopped onion with minced garlic and continue cooking until softened.
- Add brown sugar with tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes. Place in the pot carrots, celery sticks and herbs and continue cooking until softened.
- Return the minced beef into the pot and pour the red wine and bring to the boil. Add tin tomatoes, and beef stock brings to the boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/Gas mark 6. Lay the baking sheet with baking paper. Pour a heaping tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese onto a baking sheet and lightly pat down. Repeat the same process with the remaining cheese. Bake for 4-5 minutes in the oven until golden and crisp. Cool down and set aside till needed.
- Once bolognese is cooked, taste for seasoning and turn off the heat.
- Cook spaghetti pasta in a medium size pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Drain the pasta using a colander and divide into portions. Ladle bolognese sauce over the spaghetti pasta. Garnish with parmesan cheese crisps and fresh basil leaves, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. Serve straight away.