You will need
- Large pot
- Hand blender
- Large bowl
- Roasting tray
- Small ladle
- 400g dry spaghetti pasta
- 40g grated parmesan cheese
For the meatballs
- 250g minced beef
- 250g minced pork
- 1 tbsp of dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp of dried oregano
- 1 tbsp of dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- ½ of ground cinnamon
- 1 large free-range egg
- 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
For the tomato sauce
- 800g chopped tin tomatoes
- 1 medium size onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red chilli pepper, finely diced
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/Gas mark 3.
- To make tomato sauce heat in a large pot with thick bottom rapeseed oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, minced garlic and chilli pepper, saute until are softened.
- Pour tin tomatoes into the pot and gently bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add fresh basil and using a hand blender blitz the sauce until smooth and creamy. Finish seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside till needed.
- Place all ingredients for meatballs into a large bowl. Use clean hands or wear plastic gloves to mix thoroughly together.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into 12 meatballs and place them on the roast tray.
- Pour tomato sauce into the roast tray over meatballs, make sure they covered by the sauce. Cover loosely with tin foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti pasta in a medium size pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- Drain the pasta using a colander and divide into portions, on the top of each portion place 3 meatballs. Pour over the remaining sauce and sprinkle over grated parmesan cheese. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve straight away.
Dijon mustard Fresh basil Ground cinnamon Ground cumin Minced beef Minced pork Parmesan cheese Spaghetti pasta Tin tomatoes