Spanish omelette or Tortilla Espanola is a classic Spanish dish that you can eat it warm or cold, can be served as a starter or as a main course. You can serve with salad and poached egg.
You will need
- Non-stick frying pan (24cm)
- Large bowl
- Wire whisk
- 6-7 large potatoes (Queens) sliced into thin rounds
- 2 white onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- 7-8 large free range eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place a non-stick frying pan over low heat. Melt butter and saute the onions until soft.
- Add potatoes into the pan and continue frying, frequently stirring for about 15 minutes or until potatoes start getting crispy. Seasoning with a good bit of salt.
- Meanwhile, break the eggs into a large bowl, add some freshly ground black pepper and salt. Whisk egg mixture lightly – it’s important not to over beat them.
- Transfer the onions and potatoes from a frying pan into a large bowl with eggs, and combine them gently.
- Put the frying pan over medium heat, add the rapeseed oil. Pour potatoes with eggs into the frying pan and turn the heat down to its lowest. Cook uncovered for about 15 minutes or until there is no liquid egg left on the surface of the omelette.
- Using a flat lid or plate turn over the Spanish omelette. Put the pan back on the heat. Use the spatula to ease the omelette back into the pan. Continue cooking for a further 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the Spanish omelette settle for 5 minutes. Dived into the portions and enjoy!