Spicy sausage casserole. Thick, meaty leek sausages from O’Flynn Gourmet Sausages in a tasty, spiced tomato sauce for a complete economical meal in one pot. This spicy sausage casserole is best served with Irish brown soda bread, nutritious but straightforward mid-week family meal.
You will need
- Large Pot
- 6 Leek Sausages from O’Flynn Gourmet Sausages, roughly sliced
- 6 rashers, roughly chopped
- 1 Large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 400g (1 tin) of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 200ml of chicken bouillon
- 2 tsp of cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp of smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Few slices of brown soda bread
- Few twigs of watercress
- Place a large pot with thick bottom over medium-high heat. Drizzle with rapeseed oil. Add the onion together with garlic and fry for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the rashers and continue cooking until it colours. Add tomato paste with brown sugar into the pot and keep cooking for further 3 minutes.
- Add sliced sausages into the pot and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the cajun seasoning, smoked paprika, ground cumin and cook together for about 1 minute.
- Stir in tin tomatoes, chicken bouillon and brown sugar. Reduce the heat and bring gently to a simmer. Continue cooking for further 30-40 minutes.
- Ladle Spicy sausage casserole into the bowls and sprinkle with few fresh watercress twigs as a garnish on top. Serve with brown soda bread.