I’m a big fan of puréed soups, and this Sweet Potato and Fennel Soup is one of my favourites. It’s a quick and easy soup that’s fancy enough for guests and simple enough for any day of the week.
You will need
- Large pot
- Hand blender
- 550 g (1 lb 4 oz) sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 450 g (1 lb) fennel, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1,3 litres (1 1/4 pint) of vegetable stock
- 100 ml (4fl oz) single cream
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large pot with thick bottom. Add rapeseed oil and saute chopped onion with fennel over medium-high heat until they are softened.
- Add sweet potato with vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until sweet potatoes are softened.
- Using a hand blender blitz the soup until smooth and creamy and finish seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Ladle into the soup bowls and serve with a swirl of cream a scattering of fennel tops.