Warm-up your winter with this delicious Vegan Pearl Barley Stew With Vegetables. Hearty and nourishing dish, perfect for a cold winter evening. Ready on the table to eat in an hour, this dish can be enjoyed any night of the week. It’s a great meatless meal thanks to a healthy dose of barley, and It’s also super filling.
You will need
- Large pot
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 250 g (9 oz) carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 medium size onion, diced
- 150 g (5 1/2 oz) pearl barley
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 400 ml (14 fl oz) chopped tinned tomatoes
- 1 litre (1 3/4 pint) of vegetable bouillon or water
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp of ground ginger
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp of cashew nuts, roughly crushed
- Place a large pot with thick bottom over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and saute chopped onion, garlic and leek until they softened. Add carrots into the pot and continue cooking for further 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add peppers and all spices into the pot and cook for about 3 minutes. Then pour vegetable bouillon and tinned tomatoes. Bring the vegan stew to a simmer and add the pearl barley. Season with another pinch of black pepper and salt. Continue simmer for 40 minutes or until the pearl barley is cooked.
- Once the barley is soft, taste Vegan Pearl Barley Stew With Vegetables and adjust seasoning. Ladle into the bowl and serve with crushed cashew nuts.